Monday, July 23, 2007

My new addiction...



girls clothing from Japanese craft books. They are some of the sweetest simplest things I've ever seen.



I've never (successfully) sewn something from a pattern because I hate to follow directions. I've also never (successfully) sewn clothing. Both of these things take too long for my taste and there are too many steps that I can mess up.

Yesterday I tried both and am very happy with the results even though the dress is a tad too big for Livy. I added seam allowances to the pattern and I'm really starting to wonder if they are already built in. I got the pattern from this book which came in the mail from Superbuzzy on Saturday.

It took me 4 hours from start to finish which included a little cuddle time with the kids. This pleases me tremendously because it means I must have improved my sewing skills quite a bit. since that time I tried to make a diaper cover.

One of the best parts is being able to use the vintage fabric I've been collecting. I have a ton of the fabric I used to make this dress because I thought I might mess up, but I'm thinking of making the same pattern from feedsacks next.

I really don't think I'd ever buy Livy clothing from a store again if I could sew fast enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have used this book a lot, and all of the patterns have turned out well. Your dress is precious! I have used that pattern to make two dresses in the past couple of weeks. Those pictures are in my Flickr album, and I wrote about using Japanese patterns here: http://movinghands.wordpress.com/2007/05/21/notes-on-japanese-pattern-books/. You are off to a great start...addiction is right!

Erin said...

the dress looks amazing! way to go.
the seam allowances are not included, but I think the book is sized for a big larger than Livy.

tricia said...

Love that sweet dress! I think you convinced me I need that book! And I totally agree about not buying clothed if you had time to sew them all, how cool would that be!