Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Cushion for Every Pin


Four characteristics that can be used to describe any project I attempt these days: creative, portable, able to be finished within a day or two, and kid-proof.

CREATIVE because after putting the same wooden train set together for the hundredth time, I need to create something soft and fuzzy. Running after two small kids means I don't sit down.

PORTABLE because I have to stitch standing up while the pasta boils. And sometimes whatever I'm working on ends up stuffed in my hip pocket while I attempt to keep my 18 month old from jumping off the couch.

ABLE TO BE FINISHED within a few days (or hours) because I have children whom I cuddle and love as much as possible which leaves little time for much else.

KID-PROOF because working on something in front of the kids means they think its for them - and it probably is. Even if it is for someone else, I like to know it has been beaten, chewed, and dragged around the house by my kids - and survived. I take pride in that kind of craftsmanship.

The only type of project that really fits is a pincushion (sans pins of course). Their form is only limited by my imagination. They fit neatly in a pocket, or preferably a little bin or pouch, and are relatively quick. They also double as building blocks in case you were wondering.

Here are a few of my recent creations:


The Apartment Building was inspired in part
by Bella Dia whose house pincushions I just adore.


This is my "Lake in the Woods" cushion.


No theme here just blocks of color and ribbon.

No comments: