Friday, April 13, 2007

Thrift Addiction

This was the situation last Saturday.

I walk into a thrift store, the third thrift of the morning, after finding very little at the others. I walk into the disgustingly dirty "old linens" room where fitted sheets, old bath mats, and afghans make their not so temporary homes. I look through the entire room including on the shelving above the hanging racks and find an old calender towel that is way too used, but cute.

I turn to leave and my heart stops. Under one of the of the racks, peeking slightly out of a plastic grocery bag, I find folded yardage (I get so excited to find something I'm actually looking for)! I pounced on the bag as if ten other women were after the same thing, rummaged clumsily inside and found this fabulous acrobat fabric (picture above). I couldn't believe my eyes. As an aside, I also found some wonderful ticking in the same bag. My cost for this marvelous 5+ yard hall - $2.00!

I NEVER find funky but oh-so-fun craft supplies when I go thrifting. I end up passing over some of the ugliest fabric in town - and not the good 70's kind of ugly either. I always find 80's ugly or cute 70's in polyester, neither of which interests me. I can't understand the country look and polyester doesn't feel right in my hands.

So it was my first really successful thrift! I am now addicted. I love the hunt and the thrill of never knowing just what you will find. And then the pure joy when you find something perfectly funky/adorable/usable for 50 cents - you can't beat it. I don't even feel guilty for bringing home the so-so, has-to-grow-on-me fabrics because its so cheap. I do, however, have to work on space to keep all of my new found loot.

3 comments:

vintagechica said...

Man, you did good!!! Love that fabric. Welcome to the thrift addiction! You're in good company.

MilkMaid said...

Very cool fabric and at a bargain to boot! Thrift success feels SO good!

:)

Anonymous said...

"I pounced on the bag as if ten other women were after the same thing"

OMG - I *so* could have written that sentence. Whenever I drive to estate sales I'm *convinced* that every other car on the road is headed to my same location. When I get there I just *know* in my heart of hearts that they are all there for fabric.

Funny enough, so very few of them ever are.